Bermuda Riviera
       Home Owners Association

Code Information

As we age, we take steps to maintain and improve our health. The neighborhoods and structure in Fort Lauderdale also require maintenance to stay in good condition as they age. Individual structures and neighborhoods that are not maintained not only deteriorate beyond a usable point, they also cost residents more money. Property values fall, vandalism and crime occur more frequently and neighborhoods become dirty and unattractive.

There is a simple solution to maintaining good neighborhoods -- Individual Property Owner Responsibility. Unfortunately, many people are not responsible owners. That is why residents band together to ask government to create minimum standards for housing, yards, parking, etc. These standards protect surrounding property owners and tenants, who might otherwise suffer from substandard conditions.

The Property Checklist below is designed to help you evaluate your own property. Please review this information and take steps to be a Responsible Property Owner.


A community member can report a violation to the Bermuda HOA by contacting a board member or e-mail (  A member of the code compliance committee will then notify the violator via a yellow BERMUDA RIVIERA Code Compliance Notice, so the violation can be corrected prior to a city official being involved.

A citizen can report a complaint directly to the City by calling the Code Enforcement Division at 954-828-5207 or sending an e-mail to

The City does take anonymous complaints regarding violations visible from the right of way regarding blight issues (trash, derelict vehicles, excessive overgrowth). Otherwise, you will be required to provide a contact name, phone number and address.

Please provide information regarding the location and nature of the violation. The inspector assigned to the area will conduct an inspection of the property and if it is determined that a violation exists, will enforce accordingly.

NOTE: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not sent electronic mail to this entity.

If You Receive a Bermuda Riviera Code Compliance Notice:
Read the notice carefully, the HOA code compliance committee states the problem in simple terms.  Home owners are allowed six days before the HOA reports most violations to the city.  In the event the violation is related to a building permit,  a short term rental or other illegal activity, the violation will be immediately reported to the cognizant city official. Please keep in mind that a code compliance officer does patrol the community and can issue violation notices without a HOA warning. The HOA compliance notice is to inform you that you are violating city code as a service to the homeowner so the homeowner can avoid an official violation and the associated fines and legal complications.

If You Receive an Official Notice of Violation:
Find out how to correct the problem and do so promptly. You can ask for additional time provided you are making progress on the violations. Some problems are serious and correction must not be delayed. There may be assistance available to low-income homeowners through the City's Planning and Economic Development Department. Remember to get proper permits that may be required for some repairs.

If you are unwilling to take prompt action to correct the problems, there are several possible consequences. The City can arrange for a lot to be mowed or for a vacant, open structure to be boarded. The cost is then billed to you. If legal action becomes necessary, you will be served a notice to appear before either the Code Enforcement Board or the Special Master. You must explain your case, and ultimately correct the violations in order to avoid fines and liens.

Remember: The Code Enforcement Division team is in place to help. Working together will prevent blight in our neighborhoods and throughout the City, and further influence and enhance the quality of life.

Check Your Property
Repair rotted wood, broken or missing boards, siding or shingles and make all exterior parts weather tight, rodent proof and sound. Exteriors must be resistant to water and be covered with paint, siding, or brick that is in good condition. Inspect:

exterior walls
roof parts including rafters, soffits, fascia
roof covering
railings on stairs, elevated landings and porches
fences (should be in good repair and legal height)

Keep housing safe, sanitary, in good repair and sound condition. Inspect both interior and exterior:

walls, ceilings, floors
plumbing pipes and fixtures
windows and screens

Make sure that:

address numbers are permanently attached to the house and clearly visible from the street and alley.
garbage is properly disposed of.
there are no areas where stagnant water collects and breeds mosquitoes.

Yard Maintenance

Mow the lawn so that grass is six inches or less in height.
Edge or remove growth from sidewalks, curb lines, gutters.

Bulk Trash, Recycling and Trash Containers

The City has a Bulk Trash Program and Special Bulk pickup service for residential customers who pay for garbage service provided by the City. Bulk trash information is available by calling (954) 828-8000. Bulk trash is picked up on the 4th Tuesday of every month in Bermuda Riviera.
Place bulk trash on your curb or swale no more than 48 hours in advance of your regularly scheduled pickup day. Putting bulk trash out more than 48 hours in advance could result in receiving a citation from the City.
Recycling and trash containers should not be placed at the swale more then 24 hrs in advance and should be returned to the proper storage area the day of pickup.
Recycling and trash containers should not be stored anywhere closer to the street then the extension of the existing building line UNLESS screened from public view by shrubbery, foliage, a fence or wall. 
Containers found in the swale area at inappropriate times can be moved by the city. The homeowner will be charged $5.00 per container for this service.  The charge will appear along with the monthly trash collection billing.


Store furniture, building materials, junk, disabled or untagged automobiles, refrigerators, freezers and auto parts inside of a legally constructed, fully enclosed structure.
No parking of commercial equipment (boat and trailer, utility trailer, camper, recreational vehicles) is permitted on the street , the City right-of-way in residential neighborhoods. Some storage may be permitted in private yards under special conditions. In general within Bermuda Riviera, boats,  boat trailers and RV's may be placed on the driveway or on the side of the the residence (behind the building line). Boats and Boat trailers cannot be parked on the front lawn. Keep in mind that most vehicles used on public streets must have a tag and current registration.

Paving / Parking

Driveways, steps, sidewalks and other paved areas must be in good repair and free of debris
Vehicles and motorcycles in front yards must be parked on a legally recognized and approved parking surface (not on the lawn!).
Commercial vehicles and equipment may not be parked or stored in a residential zoned area between the hours of 9:00pm and 6:00am.

Business Activities

Home occupations (any business conducted from your home) must be property licensed and must meet strict criteria. No traffic or outside display may occur and the occupation must be clearly secondary to the use of the property as a home.

Property in residential neighborhoods may not be rented on the short term, unless properly registered with the city.  In general short term means anything less then six months.

City Wide Top-Ten Code Violations

Yard Maintenance Standards
Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property. On a corner lot, no fences, walls, hedges or planting shall be erected or maintained to a height exceeding thirty (30) inches above the crown of the roadway within twenty-five (25) feet of the intersection of the front and side street property lines. Vegetation and trees must be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct the travel of motorists.
Inoperative Motor Vehicles
Inoperative motor vehicles cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit. An inoperative vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power (whether or not designed for use on the public streets).
Junk, Trash and Debris
Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk, auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc; and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.
Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles in residential lots only on a legal driveway or in a garage. A drive or parking area must be constructed with approved parking surfaces. There are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a driveway or parking. Check with the Planning and Zoning Division (954) 828-5203 for more information about legally recognized parking areas.
Commercial Equipment
Generally, commercial equipment and commercial vehicles may not be parked or stored in a residential area unless they are within a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit.
Maintenance of Commercial Structure
All exterior building structures and walls shall be maintained in a secure and attractive manner. All defective structural and decorative elements of such building facade(s) shall be repaired or replaced in a workmanlike manner, to match as closely as possible the original materials and construction of the building
Condition of Structures
The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. Any wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows and screens, and other exterior parts of a structure must be maintained in weather tight, rodent proof, sound condition and good repair. The property owner is responsible for maintaining secure windows, doors or other openings that cannot be readily opened from the outside. An owner may need to board up a vacant structure if a break-in occurs. Security boards should be made of exterior grade plywood painted in a neutral color that blends inconspicuously with the exterior colors of the building.
Outdoor Storage
Outdoor storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials outside.
Illegal Dwelling Units
Dwelling units that have been added to the interior or the exterior of a structure without proper permits are illegal, regardless of how long the units have existed. The City will require closure of such illegal units
Prohibited Business
Most businesses are not allowed to operate in residential areas as they disrupt residents and the community. This means that car and boat repairs, construction of cabinets and furniture, and other activities that are not normally carried on in a residential district are prohibited. Remember, engaging in a business requires an occupational license.

Did You Know?

The most common violations in Bermuda Riviera are improper storage of trash containers and illegal short term rentals


Measured from
Grade According
to Sec. 47-2.2.G

(Note B)

SETBACK (Note A & G)



Note B: Transparency (openness) is calculated based on the fence or wall being viewed at ninety (90) degrees to the street property line. Percent is determined as follows: Total square feet of openings in fence being divided by the total fence area utilizing the top of the fence in all of its positions for varying heights.

Note C: The linear distance of any one (1) segment of the indicated accessory structure along a given property line abutting a street which is parallel to the property line and closer than three (3) feet zero (0) inches from the property line cannot exceed thirty (30) percent of the length of the property line.

Note D: Handrails or safeguards when required by federal or state codes shall be exempt from this section.

Note E: Landscaping is required between the property line and accessory structure. See subsection C. below for specific landscape requirements.

Note F: To determine the average setback distance for fences, walls, and planters, multiply the total length of the fence, wall or planter, as viewed at ninety (90) degrees to the property line, by a factor of three (3), where three (3) represents the required minimum average setback. The resulting product must be equal to or greater than the total which results when adding the sum of each fence, wall, or planter segment multiplied by its setback from the property line. Walls, fences or planters constructed at an angle to the property line shall use the distance to the center of the structure to determine the actual setback of the segment.

Note G: Exceptions to setbacks: Residential districts:

a.In order to maintain sight visibility, the following shall apply:

i.For properties abutting a right-of-way, no opaque fence, hedge or wall shall be permitted to exceed two and one-half (2½) feet in height when located within a sight triangle.

ii.For properties abutting a waterway, no opaque fence, hedge or wall shall be permitted to exceed two and one-half (2½) feet in height as measured in accordance with Sec. 47-2.2.G, when located within ten (10) feet of the edge of the waterway.

Landscaping Requirements (FENCES, WALLS AND HEDGES):

Residential Districts: Unless a fence is permitted to be located at the property line pursuant to Table 1, all walls and fences, including chain link, shall be required to be planted with hedges, shrubs, groundcover or a combination thereof, in the area between the property line abutting a street and the fence or wall. The plantings shall consist of varied species.

Overnight parking of specified vehicles, boats and trailers in residential districts.

B1.  No person shall park, store or knowingly permit another person to park or store any of the vehicles described in subsection B.3 upon any residentially zoned property at any time between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. unless it is:

    a. Parked or stored within a garage or carport which is enclosed on any side of a property abutting residential property

        and is concealed or screened from view from any street abutting the parcel where the vehicle is located; or

    b. Concealed or screened from view from any street abutting the parcel where the vehicle is located and from any

        contiguous residential property by landscaping or fencing. Screening shall be provided in accordance with

        subsection B.5.

B2. On property which is zoned RS-4.4, the following additional restrictions shall apply:

   a.  A recreational vehicle unit, exceeding twenty-one (21) feet in length or ten (10) feet in height must be parked in a

        side or rear yard of a property, shall not extend beyond the front face of the residential structure, must be able to

        directly access abutting right-of-way and must be screened from view from abutting right-of-way and contiguous

        residential property. Screening shall be provided in accordance with subsection B.5.

  b.   A boat, a boat on a trailer, a boat trailer or any combination of same in excess of twenty-one (21) feet in length or

        ten (10) feet in height must be parked in a side or rear yard of a property, shall not extend beyond the front face of

        the residential structure, must be able to directly access abutting right-of-way and must be screened from view

        from abutting right-of-way and contiguous residential property. Screening shall be provided in accordance with

       subsection B.5.

   c.  No boat, a boat on a trailer, boat trailer, or recreational vehicle which exceeds thirty-five (35) feet can be parked on

        RS-4.4 zoned property.

B3.   The vehicles which shall not be parked or stored upon such property during such hours as provided in subsection

      B.1 and the boats or trailers regulated as provided in subsection B.2 are described as follows:

   a. Any "commercial vehicle," which is a vehicle self propelled by a motor, having more than four (4) tires, and:

           i.Which bears any sign or marking which advertises or identifies any business or commercial venture; or

           ii.  Which is used or designed for a business or commercial purpose.

   b. Any "mobile home," which is a nonmotorized vehicle designed to be used either temporarily or permanently as a

        residence or living quarters.

    c. Any "bus," which is any motor vehicle used or originally designed for transporting ten (10) or more passengers,

        whether or not such transportation is for compensation.

     d. Any "inoperable vehicle," which is any vehicle, whether motorized or nonmotorized, including watercraft, and

         including any vehicle on a trailer, in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn

          upon a road, which is inoperable because it is wrecked, derelict or partially dismantled. Any vehicle which does

          not display a current license tag is presumed to be inoperable.

     e. On property zoned RS-4.4, any recreational vehicle unit as defined in Sec. 47-34.4.A.2.e.

     f. On property zoned RS-4.4, any boat, boat on trailer or boat trailer. A boat is defined as a vessel propelled by oars,

         wind or machinery and capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, but not to include a personal

         watercraft as defined by F.S. ch. 327.

From: Fort Lauderdale City Code 1/18/2011